1.27.2009


When I was in high school I painted and beaded my own version (pictured above) of Chagall's Man With a Violin. It took me months to complete and I loved every minute of it.
Tonight I had the exhausting privilege of hanging out with a group of sixteen/seventeen year-old girls I volunteer with at church. The more we talked, I learned that two of the girls are avid writers and have started several book projects. They told me about their manuscripts: the characters, plots, and themes. I was struck by their passion for writing but even more by their eagerness to participate in a hobby- not for money- but because it is fun.
I spend a lot of time thinking, "I should paint. I should write a song. I should volunteer."
I spend a lot of time working, sleeping and watching tv.
Hmmm...
What is something you once loved to do in those wonderful high school years? When all you were resposible for was sitting in class all day and eating your parents' food?
Take up an old hobby. Buy a fashion magazine. Do something silly. Make a collage. Waste time. Doodle.
Its refreshing.

1 comment:

  1. Great point Jamie! This is especially true when you have kids. You get caught up doing what you have to do - not necessarily what you would like to do. It is so refreshing to do something different once in a while! Your blog is great by the way. I resisted blogging and facebook for so long, and now I love them both. Who would have thought? Tell you family hi for us- we miss you guys! And yes- we definately need to come to Seattle!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment